Quote from the Tampa Bay Times article:
Church spokeswoman Karin Pouw said Wednesday that the church had not been served with the lawsuit. But she added: “Based on your questions, the complaint filed in Texas is nothing more than a pathetic get-rich scheme cooked up by unemployed blogger Marty Rathbun, a self-admitted suborner of perjury who is now resorting to using his wife in an attempt to extort money from the church.”
And she is quoted at the end of the article with this:
Pouw, the church spokeswoman, said Rathbun has “shopped made-up tales and myths to virtually every media outlet” since he left the church in 2004. She said he is frustrated the church is flourishing, having opened 37 new churches worldwide in recent years.
Not only are these responses becoming predictably boring, they highlight a few other facts:
1. They even have to lie about not having seen the lawsuit. Why? The usual response by a defendant when they are informed about a lawsuit they REALLY haven’t seen is to withhold comment until they have a chance to read it. There is no way they have NOT seen this lawsuit — even if they only got it off Tony Ortega’s blog which they follow by the second.
But, the arrogance of Miscavige knows no bounds. Without seeing the lawsuit he already KNOWS it is “nothing more than a pathetic get-rich scheme”. I don’t think anyone in the world who reads that complaint or Monique’s affidavit attached is going to believe this is a “get-rich scheme.”
2. They don’t even do the usual “We deny everything that is said” in fact they deny NOTHING.
3. The ad hominem statement really supports the allegations made in the complaint. A typical footbullet that Miscavige just cannot prevent himself from letting fly. The complaint is all about how the church targets people for personal assault for no other reason than who they associate with.
4. The “best” denial they can come up with is that MARTY has “shopped tales and myths to virtually every media outlet” — I guess this is intended to somehow imply this is all just lies? But it is NOT Marty saying it and it is NOT said to the media? It is a complaint filed in court with an affidavit signed under penalty of perjury by Mosey….
5. Finally, no bs statement from the church would be complete without repeating the LIE that they have opened (and re-opened) 37 new churches in recent years. They haven’t opened a SINGLE NEW CHURCH. Just a bunch of forlornly empty buildings. I am suprised he didn’t throw in his tent being shipped across the ocean in 4 containers….
The footbullets have begun flying. This is just the bb guns. Have no fear, the howitzers will be booming before this is said and done.